How To Create A Zip File And Unzip Files: In Windows 10, Mac and Android
How To Create Zip Files
How To Zip Files And Folders In Windows 10
- Put together all the files you to zip in the same place. After assembling you can make it a folder. To select a lot of files, create a selection box around the files using any of the buttons of your mouse.
- After putting the files in a folder, or selecting a file to zip, right-click on it. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Click on the “Send to’ button. And then click on Compressed (zipped) Folder.
- Give the newly made zip file a name. Hit the Enter button.
- Select images, files, videos, folders and anything you want to zip.
- Select them all (You can follow the first step of this list to do this easily). Click CTRL+C or CTRL+X. Or, right-click on the selected files. and choose copy or cut.
- Double-click on the zip folder to enter into it.
- Right-click on it, And then click paste, or click the CTRL+V buttons at once.
Any files, folders or anything can be added on the zipped folder anytime by following the last 4 steps of this list.
After completing all these steps will see anew folder is there with the same name with zip sign on it. That’s your zipped folder.
How to Zip Files to Share With Other People
If your intention of compressing is only to make it smaller in size it can be sent to the other peoples over the internet.
Then follow the methods down here.
- Go to My Computer.
- Head to the folder where you have the files to compress.
- Hover your mouse in there, select the files or folder you want to send.
- After selecting right-click on your mouse, click Send to. And then Compressed (zipped) folder.
Give it a name whatever you want. Click Enter.
Also, you can click on the zip button right on the menu bar of File Manager, under the Share button. You can click on that after the 3rd step fo this list.
When you are done, you can share the zip folder with other peoples using email. For this go to your mail sending option. You will find a button to send files with a ‘clip’ icon. Click it, select the zip file. Send it. It is also easier for the receiver to download the compressed file rather than the large file.
After sending this your can come back to the zip folder and delete it. Because it is just a copy of your existing files.
How To Zip Files Using 7-Zip
When compressing a file with 3rd party apps, 7zip has only a few competitors to compare with. Because of its easy accessibility and advanced option people love 7zip so much.
Also, the compression rate of 7zip is way better than any other compressing software in the market. It has two different zip formats. ZIP and GZIP. both of them are better than WinZIP and PKZIP.
7Zip can be found in 87 different languages. The AES-256 file is integrated with this app and also, compatible with Windows Shell.
With all these features, it comes in free. Yes, you won’t have to spend a single penny form it. Even, you can copy and distribute this amazing app. No legal issue. Cause, it is an open-source app and protected by the GNU LGPL license.
When comes to work, this app compresses files and folders to .7zip format that makes the file a lot smaller in size and lighter in weight.
So, now we will see how to zip and unzip folder and files using the 7-Zip app.
Before getting started, download 7zip from the official page. Go to there and download the version that supports your computer. Install it and then open it.
To open it, click on the Windows button, or the start menu. And search from the apps list.
Let’s do it.
How to Use 7-Zip to Compress/Zip Files
- Find out the app where it has been installed, open it, then go to the files that you want to compress with 7zip.
- Select the desired files and folders, and then click the add button with plus sign up in the menu bar. Choose the directory path. The same path for a few files is better.
- You will get into the “Add to Archive” menu. Customize the settings as per your need and choice.
We have described the options here to help understand how 7zip works.
- Archive – A name for your ‘would be’ zip file. You can change it if you want to.
- Archive format – An option to let you choose the zip file format. To get the best of 7zip and the best compression standard, select 7z format.
- Compression level – It lets you choose the level of the zip format. It also reflects the time it would take to complete the whole process. The smaller you want the file to be, the more time it will take to finish. For example, it will be done in the fastest time if you choose the Store format. And it will take the highest time if you choose the Ultra version which will make a most smaller version of your file. Space it will save, won’t be found in any other format.
- Compression method – Defines the way it will operate the process. LZMA is the best in this app. It can handle the operation like nothing else.
- Split to volumes, bytes – You can split the archive into as many parts as you want. Use this option to do the splitting work.
- Encryption – You can secure the compressed files with a password. Once any file is compressed with a password in it, it won’t open without the password.
After customizing all the settings as per your need, click OK. It will start the compression process. And after completing it will go to the place you have selected as the path.
If you don’t find the app from the list. Then follow the second method to zip files with 7zip.
- Go to the File Manager. Select the desired file. you can use your mouse left button to select several files.
- Right-click on the file(s). You will see a new option named 7zip in the drop-down menu, click on it. A few more options will appear.
- Clicking on the Add to Archive button will take you to the place in which we were talking about the previous method of 7zip. You can follow that from then
- Clicking Add to “Folder.7z” and Add to “Folder.zip” will compress the file in one click.
- And the rest of the buttons will ask you in which mail to send the file after compressing the file.
How to Zip a Folder With WinRAR
Every kind of business is targeted to make a profit. NO one runs a company that does not want to prosper. To reach there, every company does its best in employment, management and everything that requires to get success. In this era, it’s very important to stay connected with others. The most effective way to do this in via the internet. And no one would like to wait, take the time or manage the dozens of files that should be sent in a single day. Cause, every second is valuable. So, they can compress a lot of files in a single, smaller folder that is easier and lighter to send to others.
After 7zip, WinRAR is the best software to compress large files. It is nearly as same as the 7zip. You can buy its premium version. But the free trial version is enough to zip and unzip necessary files and folders a usual techy guy can require.
- Go to the folder that is supposed to be compressed.
- Right-click on the file or folder. You will see a new option in the drop-down menu with the WinRAR sign and name. Then click on “Add to archive” the first option of the second menu that appears after clicking WinRAR.
- Setup the settings as you need them to be. Click the Browse button to select the path where the zipped file will be saved on.
- Click OK to start the process.
The file you zip with WinRAR is named the same it had on the original file. Though, you can change the name by clicking the menu Archive Name in the archive option before clicking OK. Or you can also change the name after it compresses. Just go to the location the zipped file is saved, right-click on it. Click the Rename button. Name it as you wish.
If the file your zipping, is quite a very large file, then select the ‘best’ option from the drop-down menu of the ‘compression method’ in the archive window. The large the file is, the longe rit would take to be compressed. But the file will reduce size eventually.
How to Zip a File with WinZip
One of the best apps to zip and unzip files in Windows computers. Despite having fewer features than 7zip, it can zip files and folders perfectly.
It has several formats of compressing files like Zip, Zipx, etc.
Download WinZip directly from here you do not have it already.
After downloading, install it.
How to zip your file using WinZip
- Open the Winzip app. Search it in the apps section from the start menu if is not visible on the desktop.
- From the Files Pane, select the files and folder through your pc.
- After selecting, click the Add button to zip your files.
- Hit the ‘Save as’ button from the action pane.
- Now choose the path the zipped file will be saved in. It can be somewhere in your pc, cloud storage or anywhere you want.
- You can also directly e-mail it, send it via any social media site, message after gets compressed. Choosing this will direct to the place and it will be nowhere in your PC.
If you have not found the app from the apps section, then go for this alternative method to zip files with Winzip.
Zip your files from any Windows Explorer folder.
- Go to Windows Explorer. Open any folder that should be compressed. Select the files and folders you want to compress.
- Right-click the folder or the selected files.
- A news menu can be seen in the drop-down menu. Named Winzip. Click it.
- Click on ‘Add to [folder].zip(x)‘ or Add to Zip file to start the procedure to zip the file.
Choosing the second option will let you choose a custom name for the zipped file.
You can also try WinZip Express to explore more features of WinZip. It contains all the features of WinZip along with some incredibly good extra features.
With WinZip Express for Explorer, you can share files with others via mail. You just have to click the file or selection fo folders, select Zip and Share (WinZip Express), from the next menu that appears, select, compress, encrypt, share or any features that you like.
With WinZip Express for Office, you can compress and share the office files that you have. In the office application, you can zip directly from there. Just go to the office application you use, open the file, or the file you are working on, click the office tab. It will get you the WinZip menu bar. If the file you are trying to zip with WinZip, isn’t saved yet, the ‘Save as’ button will appear, then save it. After saving the file the WinZip menu will appear.
With WinZip Express for Outlook, you can zip and unzip files in your Microsoft Outlook from 20017 to 2016. You just have to install the WinZip Express for Outlook add-on. You can zip the attachments and convert them into a zip file. Plus, you can upload the zipped files directly to any cloud service. WinZip will then include a link the cloud file is on. You can use that link to share with others. Other people can use the link to download and access the file.
Anyone can set up the add-on easily. Its size is 5 Mega Bite maximum.
You can customize it by clicking the Express button and then, the Options button.
How to Zip Files in Mac OSX
So, here are we now, how to zip files in Mac OSX.
In the previous methods, we have shown how to zip files in Windows 10. But after Windows, mac is the largest used operating system in the world.
SO, there could be a possibility that apart of our reader may be using a Mac device and would be searching for ways to compress files in mac OSX.
And we made one for you guys too.
Well, as far as we have looked into the compressing process of Mac, we have found that zipping a file in mac is quite easy and if you know how to use the default ways to zip files in mac then it is going to be one of the easiest tasks you have done this week.
There is no need to install any third-party app to zip files in mac.
You can us et he default method to compress any folder, a lot of files and anything you want.
So, guys, let’s get started to creating zip files on mac.
How to Create a Zip File in Mac OSX
This method is applicable to zip both files and folders in Mac.
- Select the file and folder you want to zip. If you are trying to zip multiple files in Mac, then select all of them using your mouse
- Right-click on the selected file(s).
- Click on the Compress Items from the drop-down menu.
The compressing process will get started just after clicking that button. After the process ends, you can find the zipped file in the same location.
After compressing a single folder or file, it will take the as it was before.
And if several files or folders have been zipped then it will automatically take the name Archive.zip. And if this continues, it means if you are making several zip files without naming them, then the names will be Archive2.zip, Archive3.zip and will be continued. Of course, you can change the names anytime.
A zip format name will always be there appending.
This can be done in any of the versions of Mac OSX. To do the same thing in other ways, you can control-click on the Mac keyboard, or two-finger click on Mac trackpad.
How to Create a Zip File Using the Command Line on Mac
If you are willing to know at least a little more than any others then, you can also learn to compress files on a Mac using the command line
Simply put this command on the command line. That will do the work
zip archive.zip file.txt
Compression not working?
If the file compression process is getting errors. Then there might be any problem in the permission section.
Cut the error message, right-click on the file again, this click on the option Get Info from the drop-down menu. A new window will pop up. Have a closer look at it. Click on Sharing and Permissions.
During this time, you must be logged in with a valid account as an administrator on your Mac. Search for a lock icon right there. Click on it.
Look if your administration is set to Read Only or Read and Write. If the administration is set to something else than this, then you would not be able to compress files on Mac.
If it is okay in here, then go back and retry.
How to Send Zip Files to iOS
If you work on both Mac and iOS, then it might be important for you to exchange files between both the devices. As PCs can do more official works than mobile phones. Then it might be the phone which will be receiving files. Because the PC is creating them and already have them.
So, let’s suppose you are trying to send files from Mac to iPhone
Just like the Mac, there is an easy way to unzip files on iOS. And it’s available only in devices with iOS version 13 and up.
when you receive a zip file on your iPhone, then go to the location it has been transferred. Long press on the compressed file when you find it. It will open a pop-up menu right on your screen. From the end of the pop-up menu click on the option named Uncompress. Clicking it will unzip the file of your iOS device.
How To Unzip Files And Folders
How to Unzip Files and Folder Using 7Zip
7Zip may have only 4 or 5 formats to zip. But it can unzip more 31 file formats or compressed files.
If you need to unzip files with 7zip, follow the methods below here.
- Go to the zipped file you want to unzip, right-click on it.
- Select 7Zip. And then click on Extract Here.
- 7Zip will start unzipping the file in the same place.
How to Unzip Files and Folder Using WinRAR.
- Select the zipped file to unzip.
- Right-click on it. Click the WinRAR button. And then click Extract Here from the second drop-down menu. The process will start automatically.
How To Unzip Files WIth WinZip.
Unzipping with Winzip a quite similar to the WinRAR.
- Go to the file that should be unzipped.
- Right-click on it.
- Click on the WinZip menu from the drop-down.
- Then click on the ‘Extract here‘ button from the second drop-down menu.
You are done, the process will start to uncompress.
How To Unzip Files In Mac.
We have shown the easiest method to compress files in Mac. And we will show you how to unzip files on Mac. This even easier than compressing.
Just hit the mouse with a double-click on the Archive. And you are all set.
It will extract files on mac. Also, it will open on the same location the zip file is in.
Suppose you are extracting the ZippedFiles.zip from the ~/Downloads/ my files. Then the file it will unzip can be visible with the name ZippedFiles which will also be in the same location ~/Downloads/ my files. As simple as that.
How To Extract A Zipped File from the Command Line on Mac.
If you want to unzip your zipped file using the command line, then follow the method down here.
Just put this simple unzip command.
In further, it will give you options to set the location and other settings also. If you are not interested in them, just move forward to unzip the file only.
Despite being a little critical, we have described the command line zipping and extracting method only to keep you one more step ahead of other users. Survey founds that most Mac users apply the first methods to zip and extract files in Mac, zipping with Compress Items methods and unzipping with double click method.